[OPE-L:3715] Re: surplus value and transferrred value

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 08:11:00 EDT

Fred, I really don't know what is the point of these long posts. You have not
said anything new, nor have you answered any of my specific questions or
objections. Let me again put down some of my problems with your arguments:

(1) When you say that the constant capital should be measured by the money price
of the commodity used as constant capital multiplied by the value of money, then
in effect aren't you saying that prices of production are already *given* as
well. Let us suppose seed corn plus labor is used to produce corn. Now, in
dertemining the prices of production of corn you will be converting the value of
seed corn by taking its *given* prices, which makes the whole exercise of
determining the price of production of corn redundant, since the price of the
seed corn as well as the product corn must be the same. And this is not a problem
specific to just a 'corn model' situation. It will be the same for n input-output
basic goods sector. You cannot take prices of inputs as *given* and then go
around determining the prices of outputs, since it is the same commodities that
appear both as inputs and outputs in the system. Thus if we accept your
interpretation then we must conclude that chapters 9 and 10 of *Capital* are a
product of a crazy head.

(2) You say that in your system (which is supposed to be Marx's) the *givens* are
C (in money terms), V (in money terms), m (the value of money), and L. Whereas in
the "Sraffian" system it is the physical means of production and the real wages
are taken as the *givens*. Now, I have just a simple question here. What do you
think L is doing in your *givens*. Are laborers supposed to be counting money for
the time period L or jumping up and down in the air? If you say that L is given,
then by implication technology (i.e. the physical input-output system) is given
whether you see it or not--L is the part of the technology, if it is given then
technology is given too. I simply don't understand how can you say things like
that.

(3) By the way, how do you measure the socially necessary abstract labor L, which
you have taken as *given*?

(4) You had stated earlier that "Marx's theory of surplus-value, presented in
Chapter 7 of Volume 1, is expressed in terms of money, that are determined by
quantities of labor-time." I'm still waiting to hear your explanation of how is
this expression in terms of money is *determined* by the quantity of labor-time.

(5) You say that the purpose of volume one is to determine dM in money terms. But
all your writings only state that this is how it is rather than determining dM in
any sense of determination.

(6) Furthermore, as i had pointed out, this would mean that one must have a
theory of money supply which explains that after every production cycle total
money supply must increase by dM. Now, I don't see any such theory in Marx. How
do you explain this? Moreover, even you haven't tried to come up with any such
theory. Why?

(7) As Paul Zarembka made a very pertinent observation, how do you explain a
total absence of M-C-M' etc. in his 1865 lecture. You think Marx had not
developed his basic understanding of value and surplus value till then?

(8) Where did you get such weird ideas about the Sraffians from? I had given you
the reference to Eatwell's papers, so you must have read them. Do you think
Eatwell is arguing for given real wages interpretation? Is he a Sraffian or not?
In my critique of the 'New Solution' I made the argument that the 'New Solution'
is very close to the Sraffian interpretation. One major difference happens to be
that the new solution takes any commodity as money, whereas Eatwell argues for
the Standard commodity to be taken as money--and to that extent Eatwell's
position is superior. You not only ignore my paper but you also ignore Eatwell
completely. Why?

(9) By the way, you must be aware that all classical economists including Smith
and Ricardo give their example in terms of pound sterling, all their examples are
in money terms, as in Marx. If we use your kind of interpretation, then we will
have to conclude that the whole of classical economics is singing 'money money
money ...'.

(10) By the way, I hope you are aware that the attempt to interpret classical
economics, including Marx, in the framework of the neoclassical economics
crucially depends on the argument that it is the money wages that is given and
not the real wages in the classical system.

Cheers, ajit sinha