[OPE-L:3766] Re: Re: NI and all that

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 06:57:36 EDT

Duncan K. Foley wrote:

> Since there's been some further discussion of the "New
> Interpretation" on the list, I'd just like to clarify a couple of
> points.
>
> The NI consists of the following observations. If you think that
> money represents labor time quantitatively, there has to be a
> coefficient relating money to labor time in any commodity-producing
> society at any particular time (the Monetary Expression of Labor
> Time, or its inverse, the Value of Money). If you believe that value
> is created by the expenditure of living labor, this ratio has to be
> the ratio of value added to labor expended. If you further want to
> regard money profits as representing unpaid labor time, then
> mathematically you must regard the value of labor power as the money
> wage multiplied by the value of money: the two ideas are logically
> equivalent.

_____________________

Four small comments:

(1) But this cannot be taken as either as a "solution" to or an
"interpretation" of the transformation problem. The transformation
problem, I think, is fundamentally about a theory of prices of production
and a relation of labor exploitation to profits. In your interpretation,
the theory of prices of production is simply not addressed.

(2) Though your theory defines a relationship between labor exploitation
and total profits, your rate of exploitation is dependent on the
allocation of labor, and so not rooted in production and distribution, as
i have explained in my 1997 piece in RRPE. And this is in conflict with
Marx's notion of exploitation which is rooted in production and
distribution.

(3) Moreover, Marx's transformation was interested in showing that though
the competitive process of capitalism vitiates the price accounting from
value accounting, this takes place only on account of the redistribution
of surplus value among the capitalist class. As far as the relationship
between capital and labor is concerned, no change takes place. In your
theory this aspect cannot even be discussed because it simply ignores the
problem of prices of production.

(4) Frankly, I don't understand what analytical insight one gains by
converting labor units to money units and vise versa by using the
converter "m", the value of money? Cheers, ajit sinha