[OPE-L:4312] Price-Value Equivalence!

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 21:44:57 EDT

Re Paul, 4310:

Paul, Rakesh wrote: "It  is obvious that Marx knew perfectly well in vol 1
that commodities do not exchange at value."

Your first quotation shows that this is true:

"We have in fact. assumed that prices = values. We shall, however, see, in
Book Ill., that even in the case of average prices the assumption cannot be
made in this very simple manner."

So, Marx did know in Vol. I that, as Rakesh says, commodities don't
exchange at value. Hence, I don't see your point.

Besides this, in your quotation from Ch 17 he allows for a deviation
between price and value in the case of labor power: "I assume ... (2) that
the price of labour-power rises occasionally above its value, but never
sinks below it."

I think the point here is if one want to make from these symplifing
assumptions the textual evidence for working out a self contained "value
model" from which presumably another self contained "price model" will be
later "derived" à la Bortkiewicz et al. Do you think this is what we should
do with these quotations?

Alejandro R.