[OPE-L:4374] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Technical change and general truths

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 18:20:15 EST

Re 4373

>Marx used it to "collectivise" surplus before undertaking the
>transformation, Rakesh. That, to my mind, is a kludge.

Steve, you first argued that Marx assumed that capitalists operated
as a true collective which decided to share surplus value equally
among themselves. As a Marx expert you were not embarrassed by this
characterization. I reminded you that Marx assumed that as
capitalists seek to make the maximum profit, their *competitive*
behavior would engender a tendency towards the equalisation of profit
rates. The question for Marx was what the magnitude of that equalized
profit rate would be. As a Marx expert you have doubtless heard it
said that Marx criticized Smith and Ricardo for failing to understand
that competition itself could not explain said magnitude.

Now you do not blame the capitalists but Marx for collectivizing
surplus value. Do note the unsubtle shift in your position.

Yes, this is exactly what Marx does. Now *why* is it a kludge,
whatever that means? Marx's argument is that the individual
capitalists cannot be concerned with the total surplus value in the
system; they are only concerned with making the greatest profit on
their capital investments. This will lead to an equal apportioning of
the total surplus value.

But why is it a kludge for Marx to define that mass of surplus value
as total value-total cost price/total cost price?

Are you suggesting that there is some sort of illicit holism in
Marx's method? If so, this is indeed an interesting criticism, and
leads us to the heart of the macro part of Fred's method.

>As for your arithmetic, if you want to get my interest and undertake the
>intellectual task to which you seem to aspire, restate your entire system
>as a set of ordinary differential equations, and then I will take an interest.
>
>Steve

My goodness, Steve, you just told me that transformation has to be
generalized to cases with zero rates of change. So then I try to do
it, and now you tell me to put it in differential equations.  Wow!

If I were still trying to convince you that inputs should be
transformed into different unit prices of production than the
outputs, then I would need to do this. But you have closed your ears.

So I am making another criticism in terms of simple reproduction.

The transformation debate has been conducted on a misunderstanding of
the two equalities which need to hold from the unmodified so called
value scheme to the modified so called price scheme.

the first equality is that the sum of the output prices in both the
unmodified and modified scheme should equal the same total value
(which is 875 in the bort-sweezy-cottrell scheme).

the second equality is not an equality but a determination: the mass
of surplus value determines the sum of the branch profits.

Since the mass of surplus value is defined by Marx--as I have
shown--as total value, less cost price, the modification of cost
prices due to the transformation of the inputs means that the mass of
surplus value and thus the average rate of profit and branch profits
will indeed be different in the transformed so called price scheme
than in the unmodified so called value scheme.

One will indeed go wrong if one does not transform the inputs and
thereby modify the cost prices.

Now take what Allin has given us:
_______________
The initial value table:

	  c	  v	  s     value
    I  225.00   90.00   60.00   375.00
   II  100.00  120.00   80.00   300.00
  III   50.00   90.00   60.00   200.00
Tot.  375.00  300.00  200.00   875.00

Marx's first-step transformation takes the given total s
and distributes it in proportion to (c+v).  Thus:

	  c	  v    profit   price   pvratio
    I  225.00   90.00   93.33   408.33   1.0889
   II  100.00  120.00   65.19   285.19   0.9506
  III   50.00   90.00   41.48   181.48   0.9074
Tot.  375.00  300.00  200.00   875.00   1.0000
___________________
Now what I am saying is simple.

1. Apply the PV ratios to the inputs.
2. Sum the new modified cost prices, the new totals in the c and v columns.
3. Subtract the total modified cost prices from the same total value of 875
4. Divide this sum of modified SURPLUS VALUE by the modified total cost prices,
     given in the second step, to arrive at r
5. Multiply the branch cost prices by this new r to arrive at branch profit.
6. Add each branch profit to each branch cost price to arrive at prices of
     production for each branch.
7. Determine new PV ratios on that basis.
8. Apply the PV ratios to the inputs.
9. Iterate until you arrive at equilibrium.

the final tableau will have the new output prices equal the same
total value in the unmodified scheme of 875.

the sum of surplus value will determine the sum of the branch
profits. This is implied in steps 4 and 5.

Both equalities as Marx, not Bortkiewicz and almost everyone, meant them!

the same procedure can be put in simultaneous equations.

(1) 225x+90y+r(225x+90y)=225x+100x+50x
(2) 100x+120y+r(100x+120y)=90y+120y+90y
(3) 50x+90y+r(50x+90y)=r(225x+90y)+r(100x+120y)+r(50x+90y)
(4) 875- (225x+100x+50x+90y+120y+90y)=r(225x+90y)+r(100x+90y)+r(50x+90y)

the invariance condition is that the sum of output prices remains
determined by the total value in the system of 875.

I have shown that the transformation debate has been conducted on one
questionable assumption (the inputs should be transformed into the
same prices of production as the outputs) and a misinterpretation of
what Marx meant by the sum of surplus value equalling (DETERMINING!)
the sum of branch profits.

All the best, Rakesh