[OPE-L:4686] 2 reasons for price-value divergence

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 18:32:25 EST

Fred,
I thank you for getting me so right.

I had asked for a clarification of your formula for value
determination, but I shall assume that I have understood you.

Our difference has remained a simple one for some time: we agree that
cost price of the used up means of production is not the same as the
value of the used up means of production, but you argue that into the
*value* of the commodity enters the *cost price* of the used up means
of production, not the value of the means themselves are they are
consumed and reappear in the final product.

Of course one advantage of my interpretation is that value is
determined by labor time all the way through (the value of the used
up means of production + newly added value) while your formula for
the determination of value mixes the *price* of the means of
production + current labor or newly added value.

I want to argue here that you  cannot reproduce Marx's reasoning that
there are two reasons for value price divergence.

So let me cut to the chase: I consider almost all your textual
evidence irrelevant for two reasons:

(a) I have provided you with quotes in which Marx  says that the
value transferred from the means of production is determined by the
value of the consumed means themselves as they reappear in the final
product (so I don't think we will resolve this by quotes) but, more
importantly

(b) I am not disputing that before the crucial point in vol 3 Marx
had indeed assumed that the value of the consumed means of production
as they reappear in the final product is proportional to their price.

So for our purposes what truly matters is Vol 3, p. 264-65 (as well
as Capital 3, p. 309); it is in these two places which Marx lays out
TWO REASONS why price of production and value diverge in a non
proportional manner.

So you noted:

>5c.  The following paragraph (pp. 264-65) begins with the three sentences
>that Rakesh has emphasized in recent posts to support his interpretation:
>
>"The development given above also involves a modification in the
>determination of a commodity's cost price.  It was originally assumed that
>the cost price of a commodity equaled the value of the commodities
>consumed in production.  But for the buyer of a commodity, it is the price
>of production that constitutes its cost price and can thus enter into
>forming the price of another commodity."

And Marx continues:

"As the cost price of a commodity can diverge from its value, so the
cost price of a commodity in which the price of production of other
commodities is involved, can also stand above or below the portion of
its total value that is formed by the value of the means going into
it. It is necessary to bear in mind this modified significance of the
cost price, and therefore to bear in mind too that if the cost price
of a commodity is equated with the value of the means of production
used up in producing it, it is always possible to go wrong."

You recognize that the two cannot be equated, but seem to think that
nothing of importance follows from Marx noting the difference here.

But let's go the beginning

What has Marx already done  in his transformation tables, p. 256?

He has assumed the monetary expression of labor value to be one. This
allows him to treat the proportionality assumption of P<>V in which
the constant of m has been dropped as a simple equality P=V.

Marx thus assumes that the means of production which have been
purchased as a result of outlays on constant capital were bought at
prices equal to their values.

Marx then writes up his tables so that the money cost to the
capitalist of the used up means of production  is equated with the
value of the consumed means as they reappear in the value of the
final product.

Only upon analysis of the completed tables do we understand why the
value of the means of production cannot be equated with price paid
for them. You of course are not denying that Marx is pointing to a
divergence.

I argue that this assumption is built into Marx's transformation tables.

The first conclusion to draw from the transformation tables is that
due to the divergence between surplus value produced and profit
appropriated, commodities cannot exchange at prices determined by or
proportional to their values though the law of value still regulates
prices in the aggregate.

But there is another reason for value and price to diverge. It is
alluded to here (p.265), and again noted on p. 309. This is what your
interpretation has been unable to account for.

But let's get the first reason for divergence straight.

A commodity's price of production is c + v + p or k + kr while its
value had been assumed to be c + v + s  or substituting k for (c +
v),  k + s. So we have divergence between kr (or p) and s as one
reason why price and value diverge.

Marx had assumed the value of the commodity to be Lp + Lc (value of
means of production + current labor)--of course, you disagree but
stick with me.  Lc (or new value added) is often expressed as (v +
s), that is as the replacement costs of the advanced variable capital
plus the residual of the surplus value.

So Marx has expressed the determination of value as constant capital
+ [variable capital + surplus value] (c + [v + s]), though strictly
speaking it is Lp + Lc.  But kr or p in price determination is not
equal to s.

So value (c + v + s) does not equal price (c + v + p).

And the other reason for divergence is that the price of the means of
production, which has determined the money sum laid out as constant
capital (c), is not equal to the value of the means of production (Lp)

So now we have value expressed as [Lp + (v + s)] or [Lp + Lc] does
not equal price, expressed as (c + v + p) or (k + kr) or (k + p).

I have presented an interpretation in which commodity value diverges
from its price for two reasons, just as Marx says on pp. 309-9:  the
difference between surplus value and profit [s and kr (or p)] and the
difference between the value of the consumed means of production and
the price paid for them (or the money laid out as constant capital)
[Lp and c].

So, Fred, unless you can reproduce Marx's DOUBLE reasons for
price-value divergence, I would say that your interpretation cannot
be sustained.

Comradely, Rakesh