[OPE-L:5721] Re: Re: Re: Re: de-bunking the de-bunk

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 03:42:30 EDT

Hi Gerry (when do you set sail on water rather than the aether? -:> ),

On the first point, sure VFTs might think their position more dialectical
than mine; I see mine as more logically derived from Marx. I read a lot of
VFT stuff (if Diane Elson et al qualify) when writing my Masters back in
1990, but from my starting point--which sees the assertion that labour is
the only source of value as something Marx actually disproved--then I can't
see any reason to delve more deeply into VFT.

The same thing applies re TSS: yes I am making an assertion, but it's based
on the premise/expectation that any badly formed starting point (that
labour is the only source of value) will end up contradicting itself.

The reason I don't attempt to prove that is simple: I haven't got the time.
I had a choice as to whether I debunked the various strands of marxism, or
I debunked neoclassical economics. Since there are many more of the latter
than the former, and they are far more dangerous to social welfare, I
focused on the latter--and in the process, I've developed a very nice
critique of perfect competition, the marginal theory of the firm, etc.,
which in due time I'll write up for journal publication. Given that
neoclassical economics is the dominant ideology today, that effort is worth
the time. TSS and VFT are a minority of a minority of a minority. If I had
limitless time, I would try to pull apart what I see as illogical in those
positions. But with other obligations, I'm unlikely ever to get around to it.

So all I can express is an opinion, but I don't think that because I don't
have the time to prove my opinion, that I should therefore not express it.

Re my papers on Marx, read again and you will see that I was careful to say
"from the point of view of the historians of
economic thought *who refereed my papers* on this issue". My papers haven't
been referred to in the literature--and I could speculate about why--but I
could, possibly, locate those referees' reports (there were 4-5 in total, I
think), and write them up for OPE.

As for Marx and uncertainty, I couldn't agree more: that's why I hammer
those statements Marx made about Ricardo and the valuation of undeveloped
minerals on this list: there is something very profound that Marx
appreciated about uncertainty, and his analysis of it is expressed in
use-value/exchange-value terms. It's those insights (and many other related
ones) that I'm trying to keep alive in debates on OPE, and they will form a
large part of my next major project, a book on Minsky's financial
instability hypothesis (my chapter in the recent Bellofiore/Ferri volume
scratches the surface on this).

And as for my personal characterisation, yes I have always (since I first
read Capital, 28 years ago) regarded myself as a Marxist, in the sense that
the core of my analysis of capitalism is based upon Marx's insights as I
interpret them. But I am also not a Marxist in the same sense that Marx
once famously said that he was not. So Post Keynesian is a less complicated
tag to wear, if others wish to impose it on me.

I'll contribute to the discussion on what evolutionary Marxism might be if
others take up the cue first.

Cheers--and bon voyage once more!,
Steve

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com