[OPE-L:7114] Re: Re: Re: Re: the value[s] of labour power, nationally and internationally

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 11:54:19 EDT

Sorry, if I caused confusion instead of light. In fact the rise in the
value of labor power is not compatible with a rise in the rate of
surplus value. What is compatible with a rise in the rate of surplus
value is a rise in the real wage, as you explained.
Now, why is that the intensity of labor should have anything to do with
with rising real wages?

Regarding the problem of international comparisons of wages Marx seems
to procede as follows:
1. Same amount of labor generates different quantities of the same
product, that is a greater quantity in the advanced capitalist country.
2. For this it is necessary to assume that the product has a unique
price in the international market.
3. From there he says that the value of money is smaller in the more
advanced capitalist country which means something of the sort: 1 US
Dollar = 5 Mexican Pesos.
4. From this he concludes that the wage in Mexico, in dollar terms, will
be smaller than in the US. even though it may represent a greater
proportion of the domestic value it produces, i.e., lower rate of
surplus value in the perifery.

It seems from this way of reasoning that it is necessary to assume that
the product has one single price in the international market. Otherwise,
how could we compare different national wages?
Is that the way you go about when you think the problem of international
wage comparisons?
Paulo Cipolla