[OPE-L:7140] Re: Re: "Quaderni di Operai Contro" (Vitale) v. Paolo Giussani

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 21:46:39 EDT

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Riccardo Bellofiore wrote:

> (ii) Vitale is making interventions not in 'scientific arena' but in
> 'political' debate: I still don't like that style, but that's a
> different thing [e.g., I suggest people going to read, say, how
> Lenin, or even Luxemburg, or even Marx, wrote, I think you may
> easily find same kind of phrases]

Indeed.  Keynes said of Marx and Engels that they had invented "a vile
manner of carrying on" (paraphrase) that their followers "faithfully
emulated".  Keynes's snootiness apart, he has a point.  Marx's
personalized critiques are not very salubrious reading; I doubt
whether the vituperation contributed to their effectiveness either.
(Although to be fair, Marx's personal attacks do have some memorably
witty moments among the dross -- that's harder for followers to
emulate.)

Allin Cottrell.