[OPE-L:7318] Re: Mario Cogoy and environmental economics

From: Alejandro Valle Baeza (valle@servidor.unam.mx)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 06:44:47 EDT

Gerry this information is quite interesting. Do you know some discussion
about economic interest related to academic interest? I read, some years
ago, an interesting paper  from J. Petras about politics and
Latin-American intellectuals. In such paper Petras argued that personal
economic  interest are close related to changes in focus by LA
intellectual (And elsewhere  I presume).  In Mexico, by example, during
70's  it was compatible to obtain academic prestige and grants with
Marxian ascription. This changed drastically during 80's and 90's and
most of Marxian Mexican economist rejected the first M; hence they are
now Mexican economist.  In my view, a genuine interest by ecological
issues and Marxian approach is not only possible but necessary.  An
example is J.B. Foster.

Con un cordial saludo

Alejandro Valle Baeza