[OPE-L:7344] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: interpreting Marx's texts

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 04:14:52 EDT

C'mon guys.

Matrices doesn't have to be mean statics: matrix analysis can and is used
in dynamics as well. If you want an example, take a look at my paper
critiquing Steedman in ROPE 1998.

Steve Keen
At 12:47 AM 6/6/2002 Thursday, you wrote:

>This is a reply to parts of Diego's (7324).  Diego, thanks again.
>

>On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Diego wrote:
>
> > This is a reply to Fred's (7310).
> >
> > > But, more importantly, I
> > > would argue that "matrix algebra Marxism" does not really provide a
> theory
> > > of exploitation at all, or that its theory of exploitation does not
> really
> > > explain the real world, actual surplus-value, but rather explains a
> > > theoretical, hypothetical "surplus-value", that is equal to the "direct
> > > prices" of surplus goods.  Furthermore, this hypothetical
> > > "surplus-value" plays no essential role in the determination of the real
> > > world, actual surplus-value.   The real world, actual surplus-value
> can be
> > > derived without any reference to this hypothetical "surplus-value" or
> > > surplus labor.
> >

> > I think that were Marx alive he would use matrix algebra.
>

>I don't think so.  Because matrix algebra does not fit with Marx's logical
>method.  Matrix algebra Marxism assumes that the rate of profit is
>determined simultaneously with prices of production and that the initial
>givens in Marx's theory of values and prices of production are the
>physical quantities of inputs and outputs.  Marx's own logic, to the
>contrary, assumes that the rate of profit is determined prior to prices of
>production, by the Volume 1 analysis of capital in general, and that the
>initial givens are quantities of money-capital (constant capital and
>variable capital), quantities of abstract labor, and the money-value
>produced per hour of abstract labor.
>

> > I agree with
> > Rakesh's recalling of the important point made by Shaikh on the
> > difference between real or material determination and mathematical or
> > formal determination (this is why I have underlined two words in your
> > paragraph). We can say about surplus-value the same things as about all
> > values: we have actual values determined by real labor processes and
> > expressed as real actual money prices. In order for us to theorize and
> > understand the movement in real time of these values and prices we need
> > theoretical values and prices. Marx constructed theoretical prices in
> > Capital I and III (individual values, direct values and production
> > values) to explain how competition interferes twice in the individual
> > (at the firm level) labor processes, ie how individual-firm-exploitation
> > is doubly mediated, and thereby socialized, by intra-sectoral and
> > inter-sectoral competition. Real people just work once, real prices and
> > values are just the actual set of prices (money-prices) and values
> > (labor-prices). But we theoriticians need theoretical prices and values
> > as well, and these differ from actual prices becausewe want to explian
> > how actual prices are formed.
>

>I have already stated in my last post (7328) that I don't understand
>Shaikh's distinction between "real determination" and "conceptual
> [...]

Home Page: http://www.debunking-economics.com
             http://bus.uws.edu.au/steve-keen/
             http://www.stevekeen.net
Associate Professor Steve Keen
School of Economics and Finance
Campbelltown Campus, Building 11 Room 30,
UNIVERSITY WESTERN SYDNEY
LOCKED BAG 1797
PENRITH SOUTH DC NSW 1797
Australia