[OPE-L:7362] Re: [Andrea Vitale] 'Quaderni di Operai Contro' (Vitale): Marxism as science of workers' liberation]

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Sat Jun 08 2002 - 06:12:30 EDT

At 3:02 -0400 8-06-2002, ope-l administrator wrote:
> [...]

Dear Andrea,

	I agree with most of all you say in this letter. And I
recognize there is a similarity between us in stressing the close
link between analysis and politics in Marx.

	Where, may be, we disagree, is here:

(i) I think it is wrong to make the battle of ideas, within Marxism
as elsewhere, resorting to a caustic line which sometime borders into
the insult. Specifically, I disagree with Algebraic Marxism and other
tendencies in Marxism (even those who criticise analyses based on
linear euqation of 'production' but still hold that the matter lies
in some kind of 'formal', mathematical solution of the
transformation: for me, the 'truth' in Marxism is before and after
the transformation, not in some kind of algorithm) . And I agree one
has to struggle againts them. But I think this must be done,
everywhere, even - so to speak - in the shopfloor, recognising their
contributions, where there is any: and there are (Pala and Giussani
have done contributions and serious work). Also because this style
I'me criticising easily permits others to evade the critique.

(ii) I would resist the idea that in Marx, or in any 'tradition' of
Marxism, we find the total solution of our theoretical and political
problems. I think there are 'open' problems in Marxism, and I think
there is a bourgeouis political economy (not only vulgar economy)
after Ricardo and Marx. But may be you agree on this.

	That said, of course, I agree with your last phrase 100%. I
only would qualify saying that, separated from workers, Marxism is
not even "capable to interpret the world". It simply becomes a branch
of academic knowledge. Now, what is funny is that this last kind of
criticism I don't think cannot be applied either to Pala and
Giussani, the second outside the University and the first marginal in
it; it applies much more to Marxists in the USA, for example, where
they have been able to get academic positions and are doing academic
research, sometimes of high value, without however much contacts with
workers's truggle besides an purely idelogical one (but may be my
knowledge here is false or partial).

	Sorry for writing in bad English, but I hope you understand
what I mean.

riccardo

--
Riccardo Bellofiore