[OPE-L:7910] Re: Re: Volume 1 about the total surplus-value

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 07:55:28 EST

Re 7907:

Hi Fred,

Many thanks for your clarifications - and also for your interest in
my own view. To proceed it would be useful to give the context for
my interpretation. My own take on Vol. 3 and its relation to Vol 1 is
set out in a couple of chs of my PhD (I'd very glady send you
these). Regarding Vol 3, I believe my view is very similar if not
identical to Alfredo's on the transformation and Ben Fine's on the
TRPF (though they may well disagree with me on this). Alfredo's
exposition in his book of the TCC, OCC, VCC is a good starting
point for this interpretation. What I do in the PhD chs is offer a
detailed interpretation of the first 7 chs of 'Capital', vol. 1, on value
and surplus value, which is more or less compatible, and indeed
attempts to illuminate, the above mentioned interpretation of
volume 3 (but I have no idea if Alfredo or Ben F. agree with my
interpretation or not).

> I am not sure what you mean here by the "causal process or mechanism"
> or "social process" that "establishes" the proportionality between
> surplus-value and surplus labor.  Could you please clarify and perhaps
> give an example of what you mean by such a "causal process or
> mechanism" that could "establish" the proportionality between
> surplus-value and surplus labor.  Or are you suggesting that this is
> impossible?

By 'social process' I have in mind simply the relations of
production. Fuedal relations entail certain social tendencies and
outcomes. Capitalist relations entail different tendencies and
outcomes. For example, capitalism entails rapid development of
the productive forces whereas feudalism does not.

In my view, the task of Marx's 'Capital' is to uncover the specific
social relations of capitalism, the tendencies and outcomes (in
other words, the laws of motion) entailed necessarily in these
relations.

The process of theory development very early on (first few chs of
Vol 1) reveals that there is, on the one hand, labour time and, on
the other hand, there is price. The two are not immediately
identical qualitatively, even though the latter is the form of
appearance of the former. On my interpretation, Vol. 1 estabilshes
that the social relations specific to capitalism necessarily entail, or
include, exploitation and accumulation. However, Vol 1 by no
means establishes proportionality between the respective
immanent and external measures of value (and surplus value),
neither in aggregate nor as regards individual values. That is,
proportionality between surplus labour time and the monetary
measure of surplus value is not established (nor could it be since
this requires a theory of pricing, which cannot be developed until
Vol 3 -- this is true for both aggregate prices and individual prices,
in my view).

So to summarise, by 'causal process' or 'mechanism' I am refering
to the relations of production. I believe that Vol 1 has developed
enough of a grasp of these relations in order to establish the
existence of exploitation and accumulation in capitalism. But I do
not believe it has established proportionality between the respective
immanent and external measures of surplus value.

OK. Let me go on to the other aspects of your post. I wonder if this
next aspect is the key. You wrote:

> The basic assumption of Marx's theory is that each hour of average
> social labor produces m amount of money new-value (e.g. 0.5 shillings
> per hour in many of Marx's examples).  This is where the
> proportionality comes in - Marx's basic assumption.

Does this mean that, on your interpretation, the key to Marx's view
is this *assumption* (or could I also call it a 'hypothesis'?) of
proportionality between the appearance form of surplus value (its
money measure) and its substance (surplus labour time)?
Or more precisely, the key is the assumption you state above
which, via the structure of givens you have clarified for me in your
previous email, leads to proportionality between the substance and
appearance form of surplus value. Does this mean, furthermore,
that the way to evaluate Marx's argument, on your view, is via
'testing' the empirical predictions (to put it crudely) that arise from
this fundamental assumption? What I have in mind is your
discussion with Blaug, Steedman and others in the methodology
collection that you edited and contributed to. Is your view that all
theories make some or other 'assumptions' which form a 'hard
core', to use Lakatos' terminology, a hard core not directly to be
tested but rather to be evaluated in terms of the propositions in the
'protective belt' (to borrow again Lakatos' terminology for the sake
of clarity)?

If so, then we do disagree on the basic level of method. But,
recognition of this fact might be a great step forward for further
fruitful discussion! My apologies, however, if I am way off in trying
to grasp your view - my attempted interpretation of your view is
certainly speculative and I look forward to finding out how close I
am!

> This total surplus-value that is determined in Volume 1 is then taken
> as given in Volume 3, and the magnitude of this total surplus-value
> does not change as a result of the distribution of surplus-value in
> Volume 3, as Marx stated many times.
>
> Andy, how is your interpretation compatible with Marx's many
> statements on this key aspect of his logical method - that the total
> surplus-value is taken as given in Volume 3 and does not change as a
> result of the distribution of surplus-value in Volume 3?

Qualitatively, my interpretation fits exactly with these remarks.
Quantitatively, it also fits exactly given that Marx is dealing with the
OCC, rather than the VCC, which is a natural thing to do given
Marx's theory that value is created in production and then gains
appearance in exchange. At this stage, let me own up to a
deficiency in my own knowledge: I pretty much stop after chapter 9
of Volume 3. After this ch. I rely on secondary literature, out of
which I prefer Fine's exposition of the TRPF. What this means is
that I am happy and able to debate 'what Marx really meant' in Vol
1 and up to and including ch.9 of Vol 3. But after that I'm not
qualified! When I get the chance I'll read the rest!

> Andy, I am also not sure exactly what you are arguing about what MARX
> did in regard to these questions.
>
> Please clarify, which of the following are you arguing (or something
> else?):
>
> 1.  Marx did NOT assume proportionality between surplus-value and
> surplus labor in Volume 1.

He did assume it but only for convenience. The assumption is
innocuous such that it can be dropped without any affect on his
theory. What cannot be dropped is the view that there is a
systematic relationship between labour time magnitude and price
magnitude. Proportionality is a very simple systematic relationship
but not the only form of systematic relationship.

> 2.  Marx did assume proportionality between surplus-value and surplus
> labor, but -
>
>     -  two variations:
>
> a.  Marx did not explain the causal process or mechanism that
> establishes this proportionality in Volume 1, but he did explain this
> causal process or mechanism after Volume 1.  (If so, then where?)
>
> b.  Marx did not explain the causal process or mechanism that
> establishes this proportionality at all, ever, in any volume of
> Capital.

My view is neither a nor b. My view is that he established in Vol. 3
that proportionality does obtain when working at the level of the
OCC. But this means also that it does not obtain when working at
the (more concrete) level of the VCC. It means, further, that there is
a systematic but non-proportional relationship between labour time
magnitude and price magnitude, at the level of the VCC.

Sorry to bore you with my own (undoubtedly idiosyncratic) view --
should you be interested I'd be more than delighted to send you my
PhD chs. But I am anxious to see how close I am to grasping your
own interpretation.

Many thanks indeed,

Andy