[OPE-L:8152] Re: 'Testing Marx or why the law of value holds'

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 14:11:43 EST

Dear Paul C and all,

Though I have not the time to study the argument in great detail I
very much appreciated Paul's theoretical explanation of why prices
and labour times are closely correlated [8111].

This explanation seems potentialy to be an important contribution
to the debate on the transformation problem despite Paul's
boredom with that literature. It is well known that in Vol 3, ch.9
Marx's initial discussion does not transform the inputs. In my view,
Alfredo has demonstrated this is a valid procedure given Marx's
OCC / VCC distinction. Whatever one's view of that distinction, I
think Paul C's argument might just turn out to further back up the
validity of Marx's procedure and also explain Marx's comments
when Marx does (briefly) come to consider the transformation of
the inputs. Marx first recognises this key issue with the following
paragraph in ch.9, Vol.3:

---------------
But the difference is this: Aside from the fact that the price of a
particular product, let us say that of capital B, differs from its 	value
because the surplus-value realised in B may be greater or smaller
than the profit added to the price of the products of B, the same
circumstance applies also to those commodities 	which form the
constant part of capital B, and indirectly also its variable part, as
the labourers’ necessities of life. So far as the constant portion is
concerned, it is itself equal to the cost-price plus the surplus-value,
here therefore equal to cost-price plus profit, and this profit may
again be greater or smaller than the surplus value for which it
stands. As for the variable capital, the average daily wage is indeed
always equal to the value produced in the number of hours the
labourer must work to produce the necessities of life. But this
number of hours is in its turn obscured by the deviation of the
prices of production of the necessities of life from their values.
However, this always resolves itself to one commodity receiving too
little of the surplus value while another receives too much, so that
the deviations from the value which are embodied in the prices of
production compensate one another. Under capitalist production,
the general law acts as the prevailing tendency only in a very
complicated and approximate manner, as a never ascertainable
average of ceaseless fluctuations.

I wonder if Marx's argument here is expressing Paul's point that,
given the law of large numbers, the transformation of the inputs is
likely to leave both total wages and total constant capital costs,
hence total costs, very close to labour times? If so this would only
reinforce the point that abstracting from the transformation of the
inputs is inessential to Marx's procedure.

However, I presume I am barking up the wrong tree totally since the
literature is so vast and I know very little of it -- if so apologies.

Andy