Re: [OPE-L:8609] From Ian Wright on Weeks and Simple Commodity Production

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 17:06:12 EDT

Ian wrote:

>I think the paragraph you quote is almost right, apart from the third
>sentence. In an economy of simple commodity producers no-one
>can produce for capital accumulation because there are no wage-labourers
>(this is true for me by definition). However, it is correct to say that, if
>such a simple commodity economy existed, then the anarchy of the market
>is a sufficient explanation for the emergence of significant income
>differences.

Why not the emergence of actual class differences as well?

>The event of a particular producer enjoying a sequence of highly
>advantageous trades has a low but non-zero probability. So some individuals
>will accumulate disproportionate amounts of money. If there is a pool of
>wage-labourers then, formally at least, such individuals can employ them,
>and classes
>naturally emerge.
>
>(In my experiements with the simple commodity economy, irrespective
>of the initial money endowments, the stationary income distribution for
>the economy is approximately exponential, i.e. a small proportion of the
>producing population is always very rich).
>
>What's behind your question?

I think Marx's point was that  bourgeois society alone is regulated
by the law of value, albeit indirectly. For Marx  generalized simple
commodity production neither had historical existence nor coherence
even as a logical possibility.

One could say (as Cohen does) that generalized simple commodity
production is not a viable social form as it would soon break down
into a two class sytem.

Or, one could say that it would never have been rational to become
dependent on the production of commodities unless the market had the
depth which only results from  workers having to buy commodities for
their subsistence, i.e., unless workers are not independent
proprietors or peasants or, in other words, unless they are alienated
from the objective conditions of production.

Or, one could say that people would exit from dependence on a system
of specialized generalized commodity production unless they were sure
that their needs could be met on and through the market and that only
a system in which objectively alienated proletarian labor could be
moved or would move from enterprise to enterprise would have the
elasticity to meet needs as they changed.

The commodity becomes the general form of wealth only in capitalist
society. I don't believe that you dispute this as a historical but as
a logical proposition. Yet it does not seem to me to make much
logical sense to speak of generalized simple commodity production.

I follow OPE-L'er Martha Campbell in believing that Marx's focus was
from the begininning not on the commodity as an independent existent
alienated from any particular whole or social formation and certainly
not on the commodity as a product in a system of generalized simple
commodity production but on the commodity as a part of the totality
of generalized commodity production based on proletarian labor.

Yet, commodities obviously predate capitalism--and Marx includes some
historic notes here throughout Capital--so one question becomes
(though this is not your question) whether the commodity itself
acquires any new properties as a result of being part of a system of
generalized commodity production on and through which agents have
become overwhelmingly dependent for the satisfication of their needs.

Is there a relation between ontological novelty and the kind of
generally interdependent totality which bourgeois society achieves?
I think one affirmative answer is implicit in Postone's chapter on
abstract labor in Time, Labor and Social Domination.

I also think the question of the relation between ontological novelty
and the bourgeois form of totality is perhaps a more interesting
question than the old Lukacsian one about whether bourgeois society
discourages the very epistemological holism which is needed to
understand it (see Tom Rockmore's book on Lukacs theory of reason).
Ontology before epistemology.

Also, to the extent that Marx is studying the properties of a pure
bourgeois society, this raises the quasi Althusserian question of the
nature of the object Marx has brought into being through his
theoretical effort.

Yours, Rakesh

ps as time goes on, I find Cohen's book on Marx's theory of history a
limited work. There is almost no discussion on the distinction
between tax and rent and the theory of the Asiatic Mode of Production
and Marx's attempt to find in India and then in Native America the
primitive condition for own European development of so-called Roman
and Germanic property forms (the important works of Habib, Thorner,
Sharma, and Krader were not cited); I don't remember a discussion of
Lewis Morgan or Kovalevsky!!!; the questions about the historical
limits on the validity of the law of value are not raised;  there is
almost no mention of Ricard Jones and his ideas about the social
implications of the different forms of the wage fund (self-produced,
out of revenue, out of profit) and the different forms of rent (even
it is a commonplace in development economics to compare metayer rent
or sharecropping with fixed rents in terms of their differential
incentives for 'the development of the productive forces');  the
discussion about Galbraith and use value must seem quaint by now.
I suppose Cohen's book will remain the most used introduction to
Marx's theory of history unless a better synthesis is produced. I
think one is desperately needed. My understanding is much indebted to
the work of Jairus Banaji.