Re: (OPE-L) Re: On the 'Unanswered Questions About Rent'

From: Cyrus Bina (binac@MRS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 16:10:27 EST

Dear Jerry,

I am grateful for your further clarification as to the origin of this question.  Having no idea about the context (which I unfortunately missed due to my frequent travels), I failed to respond to it in my earlier posting of the Twin Notes.

1. Given the globalization of the oil industry and formation of unified 'market value,' 'differential rents,' and prices, oil sector should be treated as a single sector.  Therefore, all the characteristics of Marxian value formation in a single industry will relevant to this globalized industry as well.

2. Given the existence of differential oil rents, profits in this industry is  produced through intra-industry competitive forces (i.e. among the various oil regions) uniformly.

3. The appropriation of differential oil rents (i.e., surplus profits) is either made by either the private land owners or states, depending upon the type of ownership of sub-surface (oil reserves). Therefore, oil workers with more differential productivity produce more surplus value. And, since most of these differential productivities are located in the countries, such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran, Libya, Venezuela, etc., the states in these countries are able to appropriate substantially more surplus value (in terms of rent) from their oil workers than that of their counterpart.  That is why I call these oil state as rentier states.

4. The rate of surplus value, as I indicated in my previous posting, pertains to the totality of labor and capital in a macroeconomic category.

Thanks Jerry.  I have to run.

Cyrus