Re: (OPE-L) on money, capital, and the state

From: Costas Lapavitsas (Cl5@SOAS.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 05:51:02 EDT

I had a feeling that we would end up with Ingham's book and work on the historical aspects of money's origin. Ingham relies heavily on Keynes's 'Babylonian' musings. Mostly, however, he relies on Grierson's numismatic work and on Heihnsohn and Steiger, who were also mentioned in a message by Riccardo. These writers have influenced the post-Keynesians, especially Wray, whose work is pivotal to Ingham's own.

What we have here is the (many times deflected) influence of the German Historical School, even down to Polanyi, whom you also mention. To post-Keynesians, including Ingham, this appears as critique of general equilibrium approaches to money. It is the Methodenstreit in Anglo-Saxon garb a century later.

Actually, the debate on the historical/logical orign of money is considerably older than the German version, but Ingham seems unaware of it. It goes back at least to Mercantilism and the notion of money arising as abstract unit of accout, rather than concrete means of exchange, as often suggested by classical political economists. It is the debate of the 'macoute', the ideal gold bar that Africans presumably used to measure value, but which was not means of exchange. Marx was perfectly aware of it, and rejected it out of hand. Incidentally, in the same context, he also rejected 'abstract' bank money, i.e. the florin banco of the Bank of Amsterdam. And he was right. The macoute was a myth and the florin banco was commodity money reserves used by the Bank. A critical reading of Ingham and related literature similarly reveals that Babylonian/Summerian abstract units of account, which were presumably thought up by clever state bureaucrats, exist more in febrile theoretical imaginations than in cuneiform tablets.

I think that a significant merit of Marx's approach to money's emergence is that it treats money as unit of account as inseparable from means of exchange, both in history and in theory. By the same token, money is seen as product of commodity exchange, not abstract measuring device invented by the state. The theoretical problem is logically to derive money out of exchange without falling into a neoclassical trap, while allowing for money to play a broad social role.

For the record, Ben Fine and I had an exchange with Ingham on money in Economy and Society. The journal will publish a final response by me next year. In my view, Ingham's work is thoroughly anti-Marxist but also deeply flawed.

Costas