(OPE-L) Re: Questions About Marx's Unpublished Manuscripts

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 17:42:46 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Regina Roth" <roth@bbaw.de>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 5:14 PM

Dear Jerry,
<snip, JL>
With regard to the work of Marx on Aristotle's "De Anima" I would like
to ask you to forward the following information  to Howard Engelskirchen:

 Marx did work on Aristotle's "De Anima" probably in the first half year
 of 1840. There have been three note-books containing his excerpts; two
 of them have come down to us and have been published in MEGA-volume
 IV/1, pp. 155-182 (on pp.733-750 there is further information on these
 texts and also a critical apparatus).Within these excerpts there are
 major parts translated into German, mostly by Marx himself, sometimes
 with the help of a latin translation. Some of the translated passages
 correspond to Hegels translations used in his "Lectures on the history
 of philosophy", so Marx should know them. In addition to the
 translations and a few notes in greek there are also some commentaries
 from Marx. Yet, this is not the first German translation of  this work
 of  Aristotle, without knowing excactly when and by whom such a
 translation was made. A Russian collegue is just examining Marx's work
 on ancient authors, and I will let you know as soon as I get further
 information by him.

 Hope this could help.

Best wishes
Regina