Re: (OPE-L) proletarians

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 04:43:39 EDT

 You made a request for clarification and I responded.  You
then asked:  "So anyone who in order to live has to sell labor
power in exchange for a wage is a wage worker or proletarian in
Marx's sense?".   You have since, off-list, restated that question
in modified form as:  whether anyone who not owning means of
production exchanges labor power for a wage is a wage laborer
or proletarian in Marx's sense?

Before replying,  I wish to state that if you have objections to the
definition by Marx and Engels, please state what they are and offer
an alternative definition and we can proceed on that basis.

I can think of some -- basically trivial, from the standpoint of the
essential nature of the capitalist mode of production -- circumstances
in which individuals who exchange their labour-power for a wage
might not be considered to be a proletarian (or, fully, a
proletarian).
Gerry
You miss the rather obvious groups like
    - senior civil servants