[OPE-L] wsj piece which captures a bit of what's happening in vzla

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 15:50:34 EST

>December 24, 2004
>PAGE ONE
>
>Visible Hand
>To Fix Venezuela,
>Ex-Guerrillas Want
>To Make 'New Man'
>
>Grand Utopian Experiments
>Are Funded by Oil Money;
>A Boost to Chávez's Power
>Job for a Former Kidnapper
>By JOSÉ DE CÓRDOBA
>Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
>December 24, 2004; Page A1
>
>CARACAS, Venezuela -- Trying to foment a Communist
>revolution here in 1976, Carlos Lanz and five other men
>kidnapped an American executive, who then spent much of the
>next 3˝ years chained to a tree in the jungle. The
>revolution didn't arrive and Mr. Lanz went to prison for
>military rebellion.
>
>Thanks to Venezuela's fiery president, Hugo Chávez, Mr.
>Lanz is getting a second go at revolution in the world's
>fifth-largest oil exporter. Buoyed by oil billions and
>back-to-back electoral victories, Mr. Chávez recently gave
>the ex-guerrilla a new job: devising a plan for economic
>self-sufficiency in which selfless workers would labor
>contentedly in utopian cooperatives. Mr. Lanz says he wants
>to create nothing less than Venezuela's "New Man."
>
>"We are talking about the transformation of man's
>attitudes," says Mr. Lanz, now 60 years old, during an
>interview in his office high above the armies of peddlers
>who bivouac in Caracas's decaying city center. Among his
>goals: having Venezuelans eschew Pepsis and Big Macs for
>sugar-cane juice and Venezuelan-style pancakes called
>cachapas.
>
>Chávez officials say they are creating "endogenous"
>development, borrowing a term that economists use to
>describe a process that comes from within an economy, as
>opposed to, say, changes brought about by globalization. In
>Venezuela, this is often overlaid with Marxist rhetoric and
>signals the presence of a heavy state hand running an
>economy walled off from international competition -- the
>kind of development most Latin American nations rejected as
>unworkable in the 1990s. If Venezuela's ambitious
>experiment collapses, the ensuing instability could shake
>the region and global oil markets.
>
>Hugo Moyer, the official in charge of endogenization at the
>state oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela, or PDVSA, calls
>the policy "development from within, with materials from
>within, by those within for those within."
>
>To accomplish that goal, the Chávez government is plowing
>billions of dollars into new programs, called "missions,"
>which act as social welfare agencies. Mostly financed by
>the PDVSA and run by a hodgepodge of bureaucratic offices,
>the missions are largely devoted to health-care education
>and jobs training. They exist as a sort of parallel
>government and are controlled by Mr. Chávez. The missions
>provide hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans with monthly
> [...]

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724