Re: [OPE-L] Fw: [OPE-L] Marx's Form of Analysis

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 10:27:17 EST

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for this.  I think both your paragraphs below have it just
right.  You write,

"the remarkable turn towards scientific realism within Western philosophy
and philosohy of science in the second half of the twentieth century creates
an extraodinary opportuinty for us to grasp a crucial feature of Marx's
arguement, viz. his move from exchange value to value, from evidence of a
power to the substantial grounding or nature that accounts for this power,"

and this is exactly the point.  It really bears emphasizing.  It is
fundamental.

I also agree, of course, with your point about the Hegelian strand and would
add that the distinction one finds between logic and cause drives a wedge
between Marx and science.

howard