Re: [OPE-L] Enrique D. Dussel's writings online

From: Ian Wright (iwright@GMAIL.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 15:46:46 EDT

> So the unit labour-content of corn is determined at the margin of cultivation.
> and is equal to dN/dX, the marginal rate at which labour is required to produce
> extra corn.

It was the expression

X' dN/dX

that I didn't understand (which defined labour-content of X' at the
margin). dN/dX is a gradient, and represents the instantaneous change
in N wrt X. But X' is a substantive amount of corn. How can it make
economic sense  to multiply X' by a gradient?

If we want the labour-content of X' then don't we need to take the
line integral of the production function from X=a to X=a+X', where a
is the current number of labour-hours devoted to corn production and
X' is the extra corn required?

-Ian.