Re: [OPE-L] Query to John Holloway: What's your position on theBolivarianrevolution?

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 20:28:26 EDT

> Dear Perplexed,
>     On Venezuela: of course I support very much the revolt (or revolts) in
> that country. There is a long tradition of struggle and it was this struggle
> that led to the election of Hugo Chávez. The interesting question is how to
> understand the relation between the Chávez government and this struggle. I
> assume that it is a very complex and contradictory relation, and it is one
> that I would like to understand better.
>
>     To reduce this complexity to a choice between the "Bolivarian
> revolution" (a term which which defines the struggles in terms of the state)
> and Modragon/Owenite experiments is absurd.

John,

I asked for your reaction to the article below which criticizes your
position.  The article extensively uses the Bolivarian Revolution and
Chavez as a counter-example to your own position.  Is this not correct?

You don't answer the question asked, nor address the article.  Rather you
refer to "complexities".  This is not helpful for understanding you.

The role of the State in Venezuela is important.  Is this State ipso facto
reactionary, tending reactionary, tending progressive, progressive, etc.
I.e., what is your understanding of the Venezuelan State under Chavez's
leadership?  What is your theory of this State?

Paul

P.S. My name is not "Perplexed", rather I used that word before "Paul" as
one might you the word "sorry".  I am puzzled why I should be called
anything other than "Paul".  My question was not an offensive one.