Re: [OPE-L] Marx by Andrew Collier

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 03:48:23 EDT

>Marx
>Andrew Collier
>Format: Paperback
>Pub. Date: November 2004

I have now read it. A very nice reading of the Paris Manuscripts as
they are relevant today. An approach to the the labor theory of value
that I think is in the spirit of Marx. Fine use of Marx's theory of
primitive accumulation to critique Nozick (though more could have
said more about the importance of state debt, slavery and colonialism
in the amassing of the capital and the creation of the world market
on which the rise of industrial capital depended--John Hobson's
Eastern Origins of Western Civilization is very good here), and the
discussion of political philosophy I think the strongest part of the
book. Good asides on the limits of Keynesian social democracy.
Excellent guess as to why Marx neglected the power of nationalist
thought.  Superior summary (philosophically tight, rigorously argued)
of Marx's critique of Comrade Weston. I would have liked less
Plekhanov and more Lukacs though! Collier's sympathies remain with
Althusser.
A very thoughtful book written in a clear and rigorous style.

Rakesh