Re: [OPE-L] is algebra dialectical and vice versa?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 08:19:10 EDT

> Perhaps a better question is:  Is computation dialectical and vice versa?

Hi Ian:

Perhaps.  And another question:  is  *calculus*  dialectical and
vice versa?  Recall the debates in recent years about the merit of
non-linear mathematical methods in terms of whether they are
superior (than linear algebra, for instance)  in terms of explaining the
subject (capitalism).  I.e. what is the math method that can best
express the character of capitalism?

And another (more basic) question is: *what is dialectical?*  I think you
are using this term, for instance, in a very different way that those who
refer to "systematic dialectics" do.

Within the context of *systematic dialectics* (of which Hegelian thought
is an example) computation (and algebra and calculus) may have _a_
role, but I am skeptical of a claim that a systematic reconstruction of
the subject matter of capitalism in thought can be expressed through
any of these math methods.  However, computer languages and
computation are not my strong suit (a huge understatement!) so I
will listen carefully to what others including yourself have to say on
this topic.

In solidarity, Jerry