Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Andrew Brown (A.Brown@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 07:54:44 EDT

Hi Rakesh,

This is a point I well remember discussing with you in the past. In
effect, by questioning the ontological status of value prior to value
form (prior to exchange for money) you raised (and raise) a problem for
my point of view. This, in fact, is a key part of debate between
value-form theorists vs. others.

Anyway I no longer see this as a problem, or at least feel I have
'solved' the problem as follows:

(1) From a *system-wide* point of view value essence ('contained in' the
relative form) cannot exist without value form [to be precise, this is
the 'appearance' form].

(2) From the point of view of any *single individual* or any single
*individual commodity* within the capitalist system then value essence
can and does exist prior to the commodity being exchanged for money.
(Hence value can be destroyed through realisation problems)

One caveat is that the word 'exist' is not particularly precise, or is
being overstretched here. The 'existence' of the value of an individual
commodity (in point 2 above) is not like the 'existence' of material
things. It is an 'existence' acquired only by mediation, only by gaining
appearance form at the system-wide level (in accordance with point 1
above).

Note that (1) says value essence does not exist prior to value form; (2)
says value essence does exist prior to value form.

Both are correct!

Distinguishing system-wide vs. individual perspectives gets us out of
what would otherwise be a flat contradiction. It is this distinction
that I have failed to make in previous conversations with you about this
topic. (I have just written a paper on this distinction, as it happens,
though in a different context to value theory)

Many thanks,

Andy