Re: [OPE-L] Capital in General

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 08:31:40 EDT

> What is
> striking about the 'value is only value' after 'sale', school (apart from
> clearly reflecting a shop keeper mentality) is that it seems to separate
> the concept of value from that of exploitation in the workplace. Really
> quite striking! Value as capital is wealth extorted from an imprisoned
> class, and to regard the value relation as non existant before the
>  individual sale or sales - ie not to assume ( like our friends the astute
> accountants must do)  that the 'business ' is 'ongoing' at any point of
> appraisal - seems to me to be quite, let us say, 'odd'.

Paul B:

It is your reasoning above which I find to be quite odd.  To say that
value is actualized in exchange can not in any conceivable way be
taken as a denial of  class exploitation.  To begin with, let us remember
that the actual presence of exploitation of the working class requires
exchange, i.e. the sale of the commodity labour-power,  _before_
that exploitation commences.   Indeed, it is a precondition for
exploitation.  To say that value is actualized in exchange is not a
separation of the concept of value from exploitation:  rather, it is
a _linking_ of value to use-value and the value-form.

In solidarity, Jerry