Re: [OPE-L] Grundrisse. Help

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 18:17:21 EDT

>It isn't clear to me that Marx's thinking changed - it extended. The
>reproduction schemes of V2 are his last major development of the theory
>of capital because the notes on credit never got anywhere. Notice
>particularly that the V2 Pt 3 stuff was written well after the V3
>transformation stuff so the modern 'transformation problem' was unknown
>to Marx.
>Chris

Chris and Jurriaan,
As I remember Tribe's argument (read about a year and a half ago),
Marx's study of Quesnay did allow
for a reorganization of his materials; first the different forms of capital
could now be placed in terms of the whole and secondly Quesnay allowed
Marx to set up an accounting system for the measurement of surplus
value in the course of the reproduction of total capital.
Without the Physiocrats Marx would have been lost in a morass of detail--
as he often was in the Grundrisse.
It's no secret from whom Tribe is drawing.
I just don't know of any specific refutation of Tribe/Grossman on this point.
Yours, Rakesh