Re: [OPE-L] Grundrisse. Help

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 10:57:01 EDT

Hi Fred
To respond productively I shall need time that I won't have until Monday.
So please accept my delay, and I do hope that others discuss this
question of the relationship of the six to four volume plan.

  Marx does say about this latter plan that the third volume is a
study of the "capitalist process of a production taken as a WHOLE".
The whole has been theorized, not only part of it with fifteen more
books waiting to be written!

Rakesh

In Book I we analysed the phenomena which constitute the process of
capitalist production as such, as the immediate productive process,
with no regard for any of the secondary effects of outside
influences. But this immediate process of production does not exhaust
the life span of capital. It is supplemented in the actual world by
the process of circulation, which was the object of study in Book II.
In the latter, namely in Part III, which treated the process of
circulation as a medium for the process of social reproduction, it
developed that the capitalist process of production taken as a whole
represents a synthesis of the processes of production and
circulation. Considering what this third book treats, it cannot
confine itself to general reflection relative to this synthesis. On
the contrary, it must locate and describe the concrete forms which
grow out of the movements of capital as a whole. In their actual
movement capitals confront each other in such concrete shape, for
which the form of capital in the immediate process of production,
just as its form in the process of circulation, appear only as
special instances. The various forms of capital, as evolved in this
book, thus approach step by step the form which they assume on the
surface of society, in the action of different capitals upon one
another, in competition, and in the ordinary consciousness of the
agents of production themselves.