Re: [OPE-L] Democracy Now & 9/11 Conspiracy

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 07:28:33 EDT

> Today's Democracy Now is devoted to 9/11 conspiracy theories
> (represented by the documentary makers of Loose Change) and those
> debunking those myths (publishers of the book Debunking 9/11 Myths: Why
> Conspiracy Theories Can't Stand Up to the Facts by the editors of
> Popular Mechanics) for anyone interested.

> www.democracynow.org

> Jayson Funke

Jayson,

Thanks for the alert and I listened to it yesterday (it's still available
on line). The Popular Mechanics couple seemed to defend themselves by
citing that they talked to SO many people, but mostly without naming
anyone, so no one is responsible.  At a certain point, they restored to
comparing Loose Change supporters to Holocaust deniers!

If you noticed the cell phone question, I personally tried many times to
use cell phones above a few thousand feet and it would NOT connect, contra
the Popular Mechanics assertion.  I attempted it even over Albany, NY over
which the first AA flight flew and only in approaching landing could I
connect.

The Loose Change people were more direct with issues raised but Amy
Goodman set up the questions in such a way that the result is "do you
believe the 'experts' or a couple of young, brash ex-college students on
such scientific questions?"  In other words, it was set up in a way where
Loose Change was fighting uphill.  Given that, they did well enough, but I
think they could have dropped the word 'liar' and gone behind to whom they
were talking to, i.e., what interests they represented.  As it came out,
it was almost an intellectual debate -- but of the establishment against
young hot heads.  Also, I would have preferred if Dylan had explicitly
said the Bush et al. also have a 'conspiracy theory'.

So was my take.

Alexander Cockburn had a particular nasty anti-'conspiracy theory'
diatribe this weekend in CounterPunch (followed by Joshua Frank Monday).
A shorter version appeared in The Nation.  Basically each and every one of
us who does not accept Bush's conspiracy interpretation of a
man-in-a-cave-and-19-lucky-Arabs is a nut case.  Ergo, I am a nut case.
There was little of real substance.  I wonder what psychological mileage
he gets out of calling people names.

In case you missed it, last Thursday (full rank) Professor Steve Jones of
Brigham Young University has been suspended (with pay) from the teaching,
pending an investigation of his scientific research on the collapses of the
three WTC buildings!  He is a leading critique of the Bush administration
story.

Seth S. (on our list) has a review of HIDDEN HISTORY of 9-11-2001 at

  http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=oid%3A169067

Paul Z.

THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11-2001:  --"a benchmark in 9/11 research", review
Volume 23 (2006), RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, P. Zarembka, ed, Elsevier
*********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka