Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 14:14:20 EST

> Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:
>  > Yet we *know* when we act intentionally; the portia spider does not. We
>> also know what it means to lose the capacity for action; the portia
>> spider
>> does not.
>>
> Rakesh, I agree that this seems plausible, but we should not be too
> sure. The discovery of planning and intentionality in spiders is very
> recent, and came as a great surprise to neurologists who has assumed
> that such a small organism could not have such an elaborate behaviour.
>
> It is perhaps unsafe to generalise and assume that knowing when we lose
> the capacity for action is specifically human. I think a caged
> animal knows that it is caged, and will try and escape.
>
> My general point though, is that we can not seem the specificity
> of human labour in intentionality.

Can a non human animal distinguish between a movement which is also an
action and one which is not? If not, then how would a non human animal
know it has lost the capacity for action? Are these even empirical
questions? If not, should we move them on positivist grounds?
I wish I knew more about the philosophy of action and Donald Davidson's
writings. I have also tried a couple of times to understand Husserl's and
Merleau Ponty's ideas about the special intentionality of human
consciousness but have never felt satisfied. Just marking these
ideas/questions which I just can't pursue now.But I read you, Dogan, Ian
and Howard with interest
Rakesh