Re: [OPE-L] you don't call this a flame?

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 04:26:38 EST

Hi Fred. You know, different persons have
different sensibilities. So, when I call you a
"fundamentalist", you take it as an offense, when
for me is an accurate description, in my meaning
of the word. And it does not become wrong because
you do not accept my argument.

In fact, you, as all the Marxists, always ask for
further arguments, because you would never be a
censor against others. Then, if I try for
arguments, you never find them as appropriate. At
a certain point, I quit. So, for example, about
our discussion of your paper on money, which
should have ended in your web page, you wanted to
engage in a long discussion for me to refine it,
when I find it quite definitive.

So, I find your request for arguments some time a
bit excessive. This happens between us as
friends, with no insults. Imagine in a list when
somebody calls others racist, and the like.
Difficult to see this as not a flame, though I
understand each individual pojt may be defended
as an argument (and I am strongly against Wilson
and sociobiology and the like, even Singer etc.).
The long chain of deductions and arguments,
however, becomes very long, and orthodox marxist
have the habit of having long arguments.

To me is just boring, I fully understand when
others take these as flames. And I do not need
further arguments, thanks. The situation is quite
clear.

Especially when, relative to the same persons (in
the mail, there is Jerry, there is Nicky, since a
long time), the aggression is constant. So that
after some time, as you may know, quantity
becomes (bad) quality.

And probably, you have missed in that mail the
usual attack against Jerry as Moderator. I take
it as a flame.

Now, after having read OPE-L by a long time, and
after having seen how the discussion goes on, and
even the patience of Jerry for a long time
against attacks , I declare in public that I
would like to have Jerry as a Dictator for life
for this list.

I think he deserves respect.

And I think that Rakesh is a precious guy in the
list. But he is submerged by the details, and by
the need to fight always, with a strong
aggressive tone.

Now, I ask you if I also, as many others, have to
quit the list to avoid being trapped in following
these discussions.

The solution is very clear. In a list, rakesh
should respect minimal rules. If he wants to
write a paper, he can call everybody as he
wishes. If there is a refereeing process, there
will be readers who will ask for arguments, if
needed.

riccardo

riccardo

--