Re: [OPE-L] calculating the not rate of profit

From: Philip Dunn (hyl0morph@YAHOO.CO.UK)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 15:28:47 EDT

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 12:48 -0700, Michael Perelman wrote:
>  I don't see any way of doing it scientifically.  It's just a mistake that was
> unanticipated, just like the production of a product that wastes away because nobody
> buys it.
>
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 07:59:54PM +0100, Philip Dunn wrote:
> >
> > I haven't been clear enough. The question is how, ex post, to distribute
> > value transfer over the life of an asset for the purposes of value
> > accounting.  If we have no way of doing that we are unable to draw up ex
> > post value accounts.
> >

> --
> Michael Perelman
> Economics Department
> California State University
> Chico, CA 95929
>
> Tel. 530-898-5321
> E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
> michaelperelman.wordpress.com

Ex ante, clearly, it is not possible. But ex post I feel we must be able
to do it.

Marx did have a discussion of "the labour that transfers value"
associating with useful labour. I tend to think that there is no need to
have anything that "does" value transfer. It is just a question of the
association of costs and revenues, accruals based accounting.

I do admit that I cannot derive the proposition that non-wage costs
should be distributed, ex post, in proportion to revenue. It is just
that I cannot come up with anything else that accords with my take on
value theory.

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html