Re: [OPE-L] Koopmans versus Kantorovich

From: Paul Cockshott (clyder@GN.APC.ORG)
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 15:54:47 EDT

Quoting Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@YAHOO.ES>:

> Dear Paul:
>
> I can’t say anything about simplex method, but I should warn you about the
> efficiency losses in case of maximum utilization of equipment when there are
> other lines of production highly valued from consumers’ point of view.
> Kantorovich was right when observing that the majority of firms under
> Capitalism work at half capacity, but he was wrong when thinking that
> efficiency is mostly a thing of reaching the full capacity of production.

I know the argument you are making above from Kornai. Kantorovich
was writing in the 1930s when he was contrasting the rapid growth
and high utilisation of capacity of the USSR with the recession
and gross under utilisation of capacity in most capitalist economies.
What he was saying then was just a self evident truth at the time.

> The relevant issue is the allocation of capacity to lines of production
> according to the marginal subjective valuation of the output this obtained.
> And this is not only the case in market economies but when a Planned Economy
> accepts as a primary input consumers’ preferences, you would be pushed to
> open several line of production even to obtain differentiated goods of the
> same basic product. This would impede the Planner to expand a single line of
> production till saving per unit of investment is the optimum.

Kantorovich explicitkly assumes that you may have several different
lines producing the same product. He is concerned with optimisation
over several lines of production where there is some flexibility
in what can actually be produced by the equipment. His examples are
all very practical and drawn from real experience.

> As Ludwig von Mises wrote:
>
> “As long as there is a more profitable employment available for the capital
> required for the expansion of production, it is reasonable for the
> entrepreneur to abstain from such a further expansion. It is at the same time
> reasonable from the viewpoint of the consumer […] If the additional capital
> required for this full capacity production can yield a higher return when
> used for another kind of production, it would be wasteful –both from he
> viewpoint of the entrepreneur and from that of the consumer as a totality– to
> use the plant’s full capacity. This would withdraw capital and labour from
> other lines of production for the products of which the demand is more
> intense […] It is the consumer who orders him not to use the “full capacity”
> of one design up to the limit at which the profit must disappear […]
> Standardization of products can go as far as the public is ready to buy the
> cheaper article rather than a more expensive article of another pattern.”
> Monopoly Prices, The
>  Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics, vol. 1, nş 2, 1998, pp. 14-15.

Mises here is confusing the rate of interest with the rate of return on
real capital as many non Keynesian economists do.

> Best regards,
> Alejandro Agafonow

Paul Cockshott

www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc