Re: [OPE-L] Participatory and democratic production.

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 11:08:49 EDT

> > The process I was referring to is one where consumers as a
> > group  decide  *ex ante* what should be produced and in
> > what quantities.
> How in concrete terms would you see this being done?

Hi Paul C:

Proposals could be made by any interested party (consumers, enterprises,
direct producers,  scientists, etc.) about what to produce and in what
quantities.  These proposals could then be posted at online sites that are
accessible to the  public and people could post 'for' or 'against' comments
at the sites. People could  then vote,  e.g. using a text message sent by a
cell  phone.  It could be easily  structured in such a way that a person
could vote  only once on any specific proposal.  After the passage of a
reasonable period of time the votes are tabulated and authorization is then
given to enterprises to either go ahead and produce x goods in y quantities
or  not.  I realize this is sketchy, but  the details could be teased out.

In solidarity, Jerry