Re: [OPE-L] Ajit Sinha's Letter of Resignation

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 13:00:34 EST

> Rakesh, I did not mean it in a negative sense. I do not regard
> impulsiveness alwas as a negative virtue. In middle of hot debates it
> happens to all of us. It is just the most authentic expression of our
> feelings and thoughts, though it may sometime be destructive.

As Michael Lebowitz clarifies, he had a lot of reasons to leave OPE-L. And
I said nothing destructive in the posts which have led to this
controversy. I did not respond to flames with flames. I insulted no one,
took no issue with anyone who did not want to communicate me,  I continued
to express my long standing interest in dialectical method as unique to
Marx's social science in comparison to those whom he critiqued--Smith and
Ricardo.  That's it. I defend the originality of some of my insights into
Grossman's work and its relation to Kalecki's theory, and a piece is
forthcoming in Science and Society on Andrew Trigg's "Kaleckian" critique
of Grossman (another recent piece appeared in Rethinking Marxism and I
have a long forthcoming piece in Historical Materialism). . I am thankful
to Andrew Trigg and Rick Kuhn for comments on the Grossman piece as well
as the S&S editorial staff for publishing it.

I think OPE-L has been helpful to me in terms of testing my understandings
and critiques. For example, I have reached the conclusion that Ian Wright
has simply reinvented MacCullogh's strategy for saving the labor theory of
value--proposing an idiosyncratic definition of labor value so as to
remove its objective contradiction with the law of profit.

Rakesh