Re: [OPE-L] "Levels of abstraction"

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@KTH.SE)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2008 - 12:59:47 EST

Jurriaan,

Firstly, the transformation problem assumes a very simplified and ideal
model of a capitalist economy. Rents and unproductive costs do not
exist. So the assumption that "total surplus value = total profits"
holds in the model but the use of this model is very limited indeed.

Secondly, I think the issue of "the" rate of profit is mistaken.
Profitability can be defined and measured in innumerable ways: it all
depends on what questions one is asking. E.g. if one is measuring S/K
then this is the upper limit to the profit that a firm can earn per
dollar invested in fixed capital. Whereas P/K is the actual rate of
return of the firm. I believe Marx, or Shaikh at least, distinguishes
between "surplus value" and "profit of enterprise".

What one calls "the rate of profit" is an arbitrary definition but some
variables are more useful to study than others.

Thirdly, yes I agree that the definition of unproductive labour given by
Shaikh and Tonak is deficient. It is not completely arbitrary because it
rests on a reconstruction from Marx writings, but it is not supported by
any solid arguments only assertions. Moreover, it requires so many
qualifications when dealing with real economies that they should have
abandoned it.

Examples showing that unproductive wages must be a deduction of surplus
value have been given in previous posts recently. But this requires a
different definition of "unproductive".

Unfortunately, I don't have time to write longer posts than this.

//Dave Z