Re: SV: [OPE] The genocidal implications of biofuels

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 19:57:52 EDT

> My guess is that the majority of food exported from the poor
countries
> is not produced by the rural peasantry engaged in
small-scale
> agriculture, but rather capitalist firms. In that
case, rising food
> prices will just be a reduction of their real
incomes.

Hi Dave Z:

That guess is
supported by the statistical evidence (which I don't
have in front of
me but ....).  Also, bear in mind the large percentage
of people
employed in the petty commodity ('informal') sector
who don't
own land or produce food yet still must purchase food.

In
solidarity, Jerry