RE: [OPE] constant returns to scale

From: Anders Ekeland <anders.ekeland@online.no>
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 05:42:39 EDT

Hi Michael,

I do not think it is arbitrary - as you explain
yourself - cost curves are long term downward
sloping, and as a consequence they are mostly
interested in "wizard wheezes for avoiding
competition". But again - real competition is
equal to avoiding "perfect competition" (this
static, stagnant, no-competition hell).

The word competition has completely absurd
meaning in neo-classical economics as pointed out
by f.ex Morgenstern in 1972, "Thirteen critical challenges..."

Most of economic theory is concerned with
introducing real life problems into a model
(perfect competition that cannot be made to
incorporate these phenomena without loosing the
optimal (ideological) properties of the
Arrow-Debreu construction. That is the
fundamental reason why main-stream economics is
overly mathematical and mostly very irrelevant,
cfr. the current financial crisis.

Regards
Anders