Re: [OPE] The rising NAIRU

From: Paul Bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>
Date: Wed Jul 08 2009 - 04:37:33 EDT

Allin,

the NAIRU allows the user to treat the 'minimal' unemployment rate to which
you refer as a 'natural' consequence of the system. The whole process
circles around such a rate. In general this seems to be the case, so that
the idea of displacing Friedmans ideas seems never really to have been on.
I don't quite understand how 'centrist and leftish economists' intended
their argument to be anti Friedmanite however, since it is used by
'Friedmanites' against Keynesians, and seems always to have been wielded (
thinkingly) Phelps and suchlike.

Maybe you could trace its 'leftish' history for me?

Cheers

Paul Bullock