Re: [OPE] replacement cost and historical cost (again)

From: Philip Dunn <hyl0morph@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 00:32:58 EDT

Hi Ian

Plowing my furrow, I do not see this as the issue.

Both historical cost accounting and replacement cost accounting are
wrong.

The issue is how to compare expenditures at different times in order to
calculate profit.

Simple example of a circulating capital case. At the beginning of the
period, expenditures on MOP are $1000. Sales at the end of the period
are $2000. Wages are $200, paid in advance. Labour value added is 2000 *
(period end value of money)-1000 * (period start value of money).

Let the period end value of money be 0.1 hours per dollar and the period
start 0.15. Labour value added is 50 hours, or $500 at end period
prices. End period profit is $500 - $(200 * 0.15 / 0.1) = $200