[OPE] (Fwd) Immanuel Wallerstein (and other commoners) inSouth Africa

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 03:02:46 EST

I was thinking the same thing there as Paul Bullock, actually.
Decommodification, insofar as it means anything, is no solution. Take it
from me, I work for a public service bureaucracy. The central problem is
that of inventing new forms of organisation and association that genuinely
unite and encourage people and societies to better their lot and create a
better life for all. Commerce, law and military coercion are at best an aid
to this, but are only a part of the story, not even the major part. The
current test cases of "rebuilding" societies are places like Iraq and
Afghanistan. Not only does the world bourgeoisie make a terrible job of it,
but the experience brings out very clearly the limitations of commerce, law
and military coercion, even as enormous sums of money are poured into
development efforts. If anything, we need a decommodification of thought,
since you cannot buy a better society, no matter how much money you throw at
the problem.

J.