Re: [OPE] New: Anglophone Justice Theory,the Gainful Game and the Political Power Play

From: howard engelskirchen <he31@verizon.net>
Date: Sun Dec 27 2009 - 20:38:32 EST

Thanks, Jerry.

Commutative Justice, Eldred's point 2 suggests, "arises of itself out of the
practice of free exchange based on mutual agreement."

Consider the implications of "from each, to each" arising out of labor as
life's prime need.

Perhaps beyond right, beyond duty, beyond exchange, we have a claim to
participative contribution, and need itself flows from that claim rather
than the reverse.

Recently there's been some provocative attention to "contributive justice":

Paul Gomberg: Contributive Justice:
http://faculty.virginia.edu/pol-theoryprogram/Gombergcontributivejustice2.pdf

Andrew Sayer: Contributive Justice and Meaningful Work:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/45025647863qt274/

Abstract The dominant focus of thinking about economic justice is
overwhelmingly
distributive, that is, concerned with what people get in terms of resources
and
opportunities. It views work mainly negatively, as a burden or cost, or else
is neutral
about it, rather than seeing it as a source of meaning and fulfilment-a good
in its own
right. However, whatwe do in life has at least as much, if not more,
influence on whom
we become, as does what we get. Thus we have good reason also to be
concerned with
what Paul Gomberg has termed contributive justice, that is, justice as
regards what
people are expected and able to contribute in terms of work. Complex,
interesting
work allows workers not only to develop and exercise their capacities, and
gain the
satisfaction from achieving the internal goods of a practice, but to gain
the external
goods of recognition and esteem. As Gomberg's analysis of the concept of
contributive
justice in relation to equality of opportunity shows, as long as the more
satisfying
kinds of work are concentrated into a subset of jobs, rather than shared out
among all
jobs, then many workers will be denied the chance to have meaningful work
and the
recognition that goes with it. In this paper I examine the contributive
justice argument,
suggest how it can be further strengthened, arguing, inter alia, that
ignoring contributive
injustice tends to support legitimations of distributive inequality.