Re: [OPE] Marx on the U.S. Civil War

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2011 - 21:24:41 EST

Jerry,

Marx's argument was also in the same letter and consistent with his
overall understanding of the U.S. Civil War. It was NOT an argument
about inevitability but rather a materialist one:

"The South would or could conclude peace only on condition that it
gained possession of the *border slave states*. In that case, California
would also fall to it, the North-West would follow suit and the entire
Federation, with the exception, perhaps, of the *New England states*,
would again form one country, this time under the *acknowledged
supremacy of the slaveholders*. It would be the reconstruction of the
*United States* on the basis demanded by the South. But that is
impossible and won't happen.

"The North, for its part, can conclude peace only if the *Confederacy*
is restricted to the old slave states, and then only to those bounded by
the Mississippi *River* and the *Atlantic*. In which case the
*Confederacy* would soon come to a happy end. In the intervening period,
ceasefires, etc., on the basis of a status quo could at most occasion
pauses in the course of the war."

Paul

=====
(V23) HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11, Seven Stories Press, 2nd ed. softcover
(V24) TRANSITIONS IN LATIN AMERICA (V25) WHY CAPITALISM SURVIVES CRISES
(V26) THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION OF CRISIS
====> Research in Political Economy, Emerald Group, Bingley, UK
====> P.Zarembka, ed., www.emeraldinsight.com/books.htm?issn=0161-7230
====> or www.buffalo.edu/~zarembka
.