[OPE-L:88] Re: THE Law of Motion

glevy@acnet.pratt.edu (glevy@acnet.pratt.edu)
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 22:32:31 -0700

John wrote:

> Based on the posts of yesterday, it would seem that an interesting starting
> point for discussion might be "the economic law of motion of modern
> society." Obviously, the first task would be a simple statement, if
> possible, of that law.

Marx did say that this was "the ultimate aim of this work." How can one
state "the economic law", then, before one has completed the study?

More curious is Marx's assertion that there is "the economic law" rather
than laws. If we are to speak of law, shouldn't we use the multiple? That
is, unless we believe capitalist dynamics are linear, wouldn't we have to
suggest multiple (and perhaps contradictory) laws and tendencies?

In OPE-L solidarity,

Jerry