[OPE-L:3039] Re: Straight and Moral

Michael Perelman (michael@ecst.csuchico.edu)
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:52:36 -0700 (PDT)

I meant to write to John directly, but we might as well keep this on
OPE-L.

________________

> Let's see if we can nail down a few of the loose ends and
> search for holes in the claim.
>
> 1. Knowing little of economic history and even less of the history
> of accounting, I am claiming that straight-line depreciation
> was the method used in Marx's time. Save for the few quotes
> in CAPITAL, I have scant evidence for this.

Not really. People still used the Ricardo method. Capital is permanent. Only maintainence is a cost.
No depreciation exists. Methods of depreciation were just starting in railroads. Marx read the
railroad economists.

> 2. When using present values came into use by capitalists
> to compute profit rates is clearly a question. Using that
> technique, one would, as Duncan pointed out, need to be
> very specific about the anticipated prices of the commodity
> produced as new techniques are introduced. Price stability
> would make this method much easier to use. Using straight
> line in a period of price stability, would make the rate of
> profit appear to rise from period to period.

Baumol has a discussion of the beginning of present value. I can find it.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321 E-Mail michael@ecst.csuchico.edu