[OPE-L:3342] Re: TSS and Value of Money

Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 14:23:04 -0700 (PDT)

Re Paul's comment that Marx's reasoning applies not to the price of
money but to the rate of interest:

True, that particular observation did. But the concept does carry over
to money itself as well, and also to financial assets--which are to
their capitalist purchasers no more than an uncertain stream of future
cash flows.

For money itself--and here I mean notes issues--the "price of a dollar"
is set not by its exchange-value (the cost of production of the note)
but by its use-value. This could notionally be tied to the amount of
gold the note represents, and hence to the cost of production of a real
commodity, only if the gearing between notes issues/stocks and gold
output/stocks was 1:1, and the direction of causation was gold-->notes.
That is not the case for modern capitalism--as de Gaulle proved some 25
years ago.