[OPE-L:5850] Re: Hello and Kliman's cat

Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:14:26 -0500 (EST)

Juriaan wrote:

> Well, yes and no. If it is true as Marx suggested that the new society
> develops "in the womb" of the old, or at any rate within the old society,
> it should be possible to identify social forms (forms of association or
> cultures) which anticipate the future society. And arguably, if we cannot
> find any of them, and alternative mode of production is either a long way
> off or not a real feasibility.

Then Allin commented:

> I agree wholeheartedly.

I don't disagree. What develops "in the womb" is the proletariat -- the
"gravediggers" of capitalism. Part of this process of development is
quantitative (i.e. the increase in absolute and relative size of the
working class that accompanies the concentration and centralization of
capital). The other part is qualitative -- a recognition of that
class of its own capacity for change and its class and revolutionary
consciousness (of for those who don't prefer the term "class
consciousness", you may substitute the term "auto-valorization").

But Jurriaan and/or Allin might have had something else in mind. What is
it?

In solidarity, Jerry