[OPE-L:2038] RE: Re: Units of measure

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 13:12:32 EST

Jerry rightly commends Kula's

> explanations of how *class
> struggle* and the *state* played a vital role in the historical
> establishment, reproduction and change of measures.

        But another feature which I think will particularly appeal to OPE
members is his account of how, on the one hand, the money price of a bushel
of wheat was constant the whole way along the Vistula from Cracow to Danzig,
but on the other the *size* (i.e. volume) of a Danzig bushel was smaller
than the Cracow measure, the difference being enough to defray the cost of
transport along the river.

        Julian