[OPE-L:2048] Re: Re: Re: value-form theories

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 14:47:02 EST

I have not been able to catch up with most of the discussion of the last
two weeks (which continues to be very interesting), but I do want to
quickly say that I agree (along with Steve K.) with the following
response by Paul C. to John E.:

> There seems to be an epistemological confusion here. The issue of
> whether abstract labor determines prices is logically distinct
> from the question of how we empirically measure skilled labor
> multipliers.

> The amount of abstract labor involved may, on Fred's assumption,
> determine the prices. The fact that one can only measure something
> by its effects does not mean that the thing itself does not exist
> independently of its effects.
>
> I need a ampmeter to measure a current, but the current does not
> depend on the ampmeter.

Thanks to Paul for his comment (and Steve, welcome back to OPEL).

Comradely,
Fred