[OPE-L:2175] Re: the political economy of call centers

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@PRATT.EDU)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 14:44:32 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:31:38 +0100
From: Jurriaan Bendien <djjb99@worldonline.nl>

Jerry,

I have worked professionally in a call centre servicing computer users, and
as a questionnaire designer, so if feel qualified to make a brief comment.
I think an investigation of call centres is certainly a good thing, because
in a lot of them the contracts, working conditions, pay, management, and
training are bad, and sometimes quite oppressive. Very few workers in my
experience were unionised and my contract prohibited the circulation of
non-work documents to colleagues (the Dutch Trade Union Federation is
currently trying to get call centre workers to become unionised). Call
centres attract a lot of foreign workers who lack the experience,
qualifications, networks or native language to get better types of work. If
you work in a call centre several years, and get qualified in your area,
you can earn a decent wage. But in my experience most people moved on to
better jobs. The main problem with the questionnaire is that it is far too
long (creating too great a response burden), and it is not clear to what
use the information obtained will be put. Many, if not most call centre
workers would not be motivated to respond to an appeal from some
inexperienced radical communist cell. They would not be able to answer a
lot of the questions anyway, because they lack the knowledge or the type of
contact with colleagues that would enable them to answer the questions.

Regards

Jurriaan